Crown Residents' Forum - Victoria Park
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who's been on the estate the longest?

5 posters

Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty who's been on the estate the longest?

Post  Andy Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 am

It's 8 years and counting for us... relative newcomers! It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's been here since the early days.

Andy
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty 40 years this year

Post  Alan Thomas Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 am

I moved into my first flat on the Crown Estate in 1969 - 90a Gore Road - and have been in this, my thrid address on the road , since 1978. Certainly a lot of changes, not least in the approach of the Crown Estate. When I first moved here the estate was ruled with a rod of iron by a very fierce lady housing manager called Miss Lamplough. I rmember one stern letter observing I had weeds in the fron garden including "some about to shed their seed"! I have thorough ly enjoyed my years here and I know there are plenty of other tenants with a longer history than ours.
Alan

Alan Thomas

Back to top Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty Since March 1976

Post  marynik Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:05 pm

We've lived here since March 76, about three years after the block was completed. It is the block that includes what used to be the office and is shown on Page 90 of the Hackney Society's book "Twentieth century buildings in Hackney". Christchurch Square was a building site, guarded by huge alsatians.
The style of the Crown Estate has generally become more approachable but the substence hasn't improved, especially since the office decamped to Regents Park.
We were among the 4 properties that the Association chose to use as test cases at the Rent Assessment Panel one year. We got 2 reduced and 2 not put up. A good result away from home. Nik was then secretary of the trade union branch that represented the RAP's staff, which added to the fun.
We are worried that the rents will be increased to cash in on the inflationary impact of the Olympics rather than to reflect the reduced on-site service the Crown Estate now offers.
Mary Pimm & Nik Wood

marynik

Back to top Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty Giving my age away!

Post  Joannie Andrews Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Like Alan, I moved into Gore Road in 1969 - just two doors away from Alan. I have been at No 92 ever since and like Alan have seen many changes and different styles of housing management. I must say the 'Octavia Hill' style of housing management, has thank goodness, long gone. Those were the days when washing was only allowed to be put out to dry on certain days - a sharp reminder would be a note through the door. Difficult to deny as the Offices were then at 105 Gore Road, and washing could be seen from the Crown Offices. Permission had to be obtained for all pets. Although draconian, Gore Road and the rest of the Estate was well maintained and well kept!

Joannie Andrews

Back to top Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty NEARLY 50 YEARS

Post  Sid Shine Fri May 29, 2009 9:41 am

I have been a resident on the Estate since June 1959 and I am presently at my third address - Cadogan Terrace, Old Ford Road and Robinson Road. The best placed one was in Old Ford Road, opposite the lake with, as I recall, the canoes and rowing boats on the lake in the summer months - it would be good to see them back again. Very Happy

Sid Shine

Back to top Go down

who's been on the estate the longest? Empty Re: who's been on the estate the longest?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down