Crown Residents' Forum - Victoria Park
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES

4 posters

Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty MORPETH ROAD GARAGES

Post  Andrew Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 am

Just wondered if I am the only one who would actually like to see the Crown get rid of the lock ups on Morpeth Road for good and instead put up some quality residential housing. I have been in the area for about 14 odd years and they have been an eyesore, a dumping and humping ground ( flytippers delight ), encouraged crime, and made the footway feel dangerous at night. Sure its handy for a very few people to park cars, but most are either empty or used by traders for things like one arm bandits, dodgy videos, white goods, decorators supplies, builders supplies etc etc. They make the street a disgrace. More of the same would be just as bad - look at any large area of lock ups - they are always a nightmare.
I think the Crown could select a good and cutting edge architect to make a really worthwhile development along the street, making for useful homes and improving the street scape no end. Just like the new Lauriston school will look fantastic. The Crown have after all commissioned fantastic modern architecture in the past such as makes up parts of Gore rd, Morpeth, Christchurch Estate etc.
Anyone agree??

Andrew

Back to top Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty one of the 'few' garage tenants

Post  Alan Thomas Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 am

As one of the 'very few people' who use a garage in Morpeth for its designated purpose and have done for about twenty years or more I would be very unhappy to see them go. Crown tenants have once in the past successfully rsisted a Crown housing develop on some of that site. What's changed? I clearly don't find the garage area any more of a dumping ground than the rest of the estate has become. It's just a sign of the times that people leave rubbish about. Finally, there is alot of concern at the moment about the parking situation on Gore Road and surrounding streets..is this the time to add to that problem by turning people out of the garages.
Alan

Alan Thomas

Back to top Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty Garages in Morpeth Road

Post  jackielo Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am

I would just like to say a couple of things regarding the garages. My parents live in Morpeth Road and have done so for many years. They have one of the garages in question, which is great for my father as he is 78 years of age, and as there are always vehicles parked outside their property
they would not like to see the garages go. Also what will happen to the many vehicles which park along Morpeth Road whose owners do not have a garage once the new school has been built - prompting even more cars. The teachers already use Morpeth Road as a car park. On the subject of "dumping and humping" - can't say I have ever heard anyone living on Morpeth Road mention this.

jackielo

Back to top Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty Morpeth Road Garages

Post  Andrew Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Great to get some replies.
I still can't help feeling that the lock ups are convenience for a very few, and a nuisance/ eyesore for many. I am not denying that for those that do have a garage its a useful thing for them, but I think possibly there could be a better use of this space.
By the way I live on Morpeth Rd so I am very aware of the mess dumped there, and the state of the garages. I don't think we should take it for granted ( as a 'sign of the times' ) that we have to live with rubbish dumped around our homes. Is it not possible ( 2nd post ) to get a disabled space allocated outside your fathers house ( you apply through Hackney Council )?
The new school entrance will be on Rutland Road, not Morpeth, so I don't think that should be an issue.
In terms of adding to parking problems. There are not that many cars parked and in regular use in the garages ( be interesting to know how many ) - relative to length of street taken up.
The reported problems on Gore Rd are no different to any other street in the area which does not have restricted parking. Inevitably people from restricted areas end up using the streets as a car park, making it more difficult for residents, plus residents tend to keep more cars. If we look ahead we should perhaps be looking at ways to reduce the number and usage of cars rather than at places to park them. ( Applies to me too as a car driver! ).
One idea though would be to integrate some garages below new low level housing, even if it were a few - these could be rented to Crown residents.
Any more thoughts...

Andrew

Back to top Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty Garages in Morpeth Road

Post  Joannie Andrews Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 pm

The Garages in Morpeth Road is an item constantly brought up at the Residents' meeting. The Association is really concerned at the condition of the garages and the eyesore they have become in a Conservation Area. At our last CRA meeting the Crown made it quite clear that they were not going to do any major repairs to the garages and as they became vacant they would not be re-letting them. A letter has been sent to those residents who are renting garages to this effect.
We have asked what the long term plans are for the garages but to date the Crown will not say. We can only guess that it is for redevelopment. However, in the meantime there are alternative suggestions being mentioned.

1. Andrew has already said a low rise development would be better than the existing garages.
2. Another is that the land be used, in conjuction with Lauriston School, to provide an environmental garden and some form of allotments for both the children and the residents. With the extension of Lauriston School there will be a need for additional playground and outside space. At a recent School Governors' meeting this suggestion was welcomed.
3. That the garages revert back to the gardens. The gardens in Gore Road had been taken to build the garages.

It would be good to have views and ideas.

Joannie Andrews

Back to top Go down

MORPETH ROAD GARAGES Empty Re: MORPETH ROAD GARAGES

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down